Anglo Nubian Goat: Characteristics, Facts & Breed Info
Are you looking for another goat breed to choose from? I will share with you another goat breed. This goat is called Anglo Nubian goat.
What are Anglo Nubian goats? Anglo Nubian goats are domestic goats in Great Britain. They are the result of crossbreeding native British goats and large lop-eared goats imported from India, the Middle East and North Africa. These goats are characterized by their large pendulous ears and good body structure.
Keep reading to learn more about them.
In the time of 19th century in the British Isles, British people crossbreed their native domestic goats from large lop-eared goats that were imported from India, the Middle East and North Africa. Then, the results of their crossbreed became the goat breed called Anglo Nubian goat, but it is sometimes called by other people from that time as Nubian Goat that today we also usually use them to know that type of goats.
Anglo Nubian goats originated in the United Kingdom. These are the results of crossbreeding British native goats and large lop-eared goats that were imported in India, the Middle East and North Africa.
Anglo Nubian Goat Characteristics
- They are a large-sized goat breed.
- They are beautiful looking goats.
- They have long, pendulous ears with a roman nose.
- Long sized legs.
- They have short hair coats.
- They have a wide variety of colors and color patterns. But the most predominant colors of them are black, tan and chestnut.
- Their udders are normally big sized.
- The adult buck’s height is 35 inches, while the adult does height is 30 inches.
- Adult bucks weight is 170 pounds, while the adult does weight is 135 pounds.
- They love to graze their food.
- They can adapt to different types of environments easily.
- They can be used for milk and meat, but usually they are used for milk production because they can also give a good amount of it.
- Their temperament is usually friendly, affectionate, vocal and easy to handle.
- They originated from the United Kingdom.
- They are a large goat breed.
- They can be domesticated.
- They are vocal goats.
- They are dual-purpose goats, which means they can be used for their milk and for their meat.
- Even though they are dual-purpose goats, they are usually used for their milk.
- They have two types of horn: the black and the brown horn.
- They have a lifespan of 15-18 years.
- Their gestation period is 150 days.
- They can produce 1 gallon of milk per day.
- Their milk fat content is 5%.
- Their milk yield per lactation is around 1,820 pounds of milk on average.
- They have tolerance in warm climates.
- They have fewer health problems.
- They can also be used as packing goats.
- Their diet is usually hays, plants, grains, grasses and shrubs.
Pros and Cons
- Dual-purpose goat breed. This means that they can be used for milk and for meat.
- They have a longer life.
- They always have many kids, which means that it is normal to see them with twins, triplets, and sometimes they can also have quadruplets.
- Their milk has a high protein and butterfat content.
- Their milk has a good flavor.
- They can be used as packing animals.
- Rapid growth when they are young, which means they are suitable for meat.
- They are easy to milk. Thanks to their large udder.
- They have fewer health problems.
- Their kids are big.
- They are noisy goats if you’re not paying attention to them.
- They don’t produce a lot of milk.
- Their ears are sensitive to cold climates.
- They are very good escape artists.
- They need a large amount of food.
Anglo Nubian goats are dual-purpose goats. They can be used for their meat and for their milk, but frequently they are used for their milk because their milk is also good even though they don’t produce a large amount of it.
Breed Profile Information
|Breed Name||Anglo Nubian Goat|
|Other Name||Nubian Goat|
|Breed Purpose||Milk and also For Meat|
|Uses||Milk and Meat|
|Height||Adult Bucks 35 inches. Adult Does 30 inches|
|Weight||Adult Bucks 170 pounds, Adult Does 135 pounds|
|Horns||Yes, they may Have Horns|
|Climate Tolerance||Hot Climates|
|Colors||Many Colors and Color Patterns|
|Life Expectancy||15-18 years|
|Temperament||Friendly, Affectionate, Vocal and Easy to Handle|
|Good for Stall Fed||Yes|
|Milk Production Per Day||1 gallon/day|
|Milk Fat Content||5%|
|Country/Place of Origin||United Kingdom|
Are you looking for dual-purpose goats? Anglo Nubian goats are one of the best options to choose from because they are also dual-purpose goats. They can be used for milk and also for meat. If you’re interested in this type of breed, you can buy them at the price of $150-$200 for unregistered ones and for registered ones you can buy them at the price of $300-$1000.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What are Anglo Nubian goats used for? Anglo Nubian goats are used for their milk and meat. But sometimes there are some people and small businesses that use their skin as leather. This means that they can also be raised for their skin, besides for their milk and meat.
How much is the price of Anglo Nubian goat? The price of Anglo Nubian goat is $150-$200 for unregistered and for registered the price is $300-$1000.
Are Nubian Goats Friendly? Yes, they are very friendly goats. In fact, you can easily tame them.
How long do Anglo Nubian goats live? Anglo Nubian goats can live for 15-18 years.
What do Anglo Nubian goats eat? Anglo Nubian goats usually eat hays, plants, grains, grasses and shrubs.
Where did the Anglo Nubian goat originate? Anglo Nubian goat originates from the United Kingdom.
Do Anglo Nubian goats have horns? Yes, they have horns. Their horns are usually black and brown.
What is the average lifespan of a Nubian goat? The average lifespan of the Anglo Nubian goat is 15-18 years.
What is the difference between Nubian and Boer goats? The difference between the Nubian and Boer goats is their appearance and their characteristics.