The Beetal goat, also known as Lahori goat, is a breed of goat that can be found in the Punjab region of India and Pakistan. These goats are used for their milk and for their meat, just like Jamunapari goats and the Malabari goats. Their physical characteristics are usually red or golden brown with white spots and pendulous ears, with a body that is compact and well-developed. Keep reading to learn more about them.
In the past, these breed of goats were raised by nomadic people in the region of Punjab in order for them to earn a living.
Beetal goats originated in the Punjab region of India and Pakistan, where they are used for their milk and for their meat.
Beetal Goat Characteristics
- Beetal goat size is large.
- Their colors are black, white, brown and red. But the most common colors of them are red or brown with white spots.
- Their bodies are compact and well-developed.
- Their ears are long and pendulous with a head that is massive and broad with a roman nose.
- Their horns are long, that curves backward.
- Their legs are long and strong.
- They are short tailed goats.
- They are good for milk and meat production.
- They easily adapt to different types of climates and environments.
- Produces a pair of kids each year.
- Adult bucks have a height of 32-43 inches, while the adult does have a height of 25-35 inches.
- Adult bucks have a weight of 126-220 pounds, while the adult does have a weight of 77-132 pounds.
- Their temperament is usually docile and calm.
- They originated in the Punjab region of India and Pakistan.
- Does produce kids for the first time at the age of 20-22 months of age.
- There are 5 common types of Beetal goats. These are Faisalabadi, Makhi-Cheeni, Kali-Cheeni, Nagri and Nuqri.
- They can produce about 2.5-4 liters of milk per day.
- They have a lactation period of 187 days.
- They have a lifespan of 12-15 years.
- Their gestation period is 150 days.
- Their weight in one year is normally 130-135 pounds.
- The percentage of their milk fat content is about 3-5%.
Pros and Cons
- They are dual-purpose goats. This means that they can be used for their milk and for their meat.
- They can easily adapt to different types of climates and environments.
- They are easy to handle because of their good behavior.
- They need a large amount of food.
- They are able to jump fences.
Beetal goats are usually used for their milk and meat. But sometimes other people and small businesses used them for their skin in order to make them leathers.
Breed Profile Information
|Breed Name||Beetal Goat|
|Other Name||Lahori Goat|
|Breed Purpose||Milk and Meat Production|
|Uses||Milk, Meat, and Skin|
|Height||Adult Bucks 32-43 inches, Adult Does 25-35 inches|
|Weight||Adult Bucks 126-220 pounds, Adult Does 77-132 pounds|
|Climate Tolerance||All Climates|
|Colors||They Have Too Many Colors|
|Life Expectancy||12-15 years|
|Temperament||Docile and Calm|
|Good for Stall Fed||Yes|
|Milk Production Per Day||2.5-4 liters/day|
|Milk Fat Content||3-5%|
|Country/Place of Origin||Punjab Region|
Beetal goats are a large breed of goats which are suitable for milk and meat production. Keeping them is not a hassle because they are easier to keep compared to the other goat breeds out there. The reason that they are easy to keep compared to the other goat breeds out there is because of their good behavior. We all understand that goats that have good behavior are easy to handle when keeping.
But don’t forget that even though they are easy to keep, they have downsides about keeping them. One example is they need a lot of food because these goats are large, which means that they need a large amount of food in order for them to become healthy goats.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How can you tell a Beetal goat? If you see a Beetal goat, you can tell that based on their characteristics.
Where is Beetal goat found? Beetal goat can be found in the Punjab region of India and Pakistan, where they are used for their milk and for their meat.
How tall is a Beetal goat? 32-43 inches of height for the adult bucks, while for the adult does, their height is around 25-35 inches.